Easy Instant Pot Curry with Black Eyed Peas
Wanted to share my secret short-cut recipe for making any lentil/beans curry in the Instant Pot.
Many of my non-Indian friends LOVE Indian food but are often intimidated by the vast number of ingredients and spices that go into making these dishes. As I was writing up a few recipes for my neighbor, I noticed that they all have a lot in common!
So here you go.
My favorite Instant Pot recipe for LOBIA BEANS CURRY
- In saute mode, add some oil
- When its hot, add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 bay leaf and stir fry for a min or so
- Blend together a small chopped onion, 1/2 inch piece of ginger, garlic cloves and green chili (optional)
- Add this to the hot oil
- Let it cook for a couple of min
- Blend together 2 large tomatoes and add this to the IP
- Add salt, and a tsp each of turmeric powder, kashmiri chili powder and garam masala (Magic Trio)
- Add in the overnight soaked beans of your choice. I used Lobia or Black Eyed Peas soaked overnight and rinsed
- Add water - enough to covet the beans and some more (I usually eye ball the water based on how much gravy I want)
- Close the IP and cook in Bean mode for 20 min and NR
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and juice of half a lime
- Serve with hot rotis or rice!
Please note that cook times vary from bean to bean :)
Again, there are many many methods of making Indian curries with different ingredients, but I find this to be the quickest, yet most effective method of bringing out the different flavors.
Hope you give it a try!