Quick Fix Dum Biryani
Biryani is a one-pot dish incorporating aromatic spices often cooked with marinated meat. It has several layers of delightful flavors - a result of slow cooking the ingredients in a sealed, vessel for several hours. This is called 'dum'.
There are many many ways of preparing this dish. Regional variations including Hyderabadi Dum Biryani, Awadhi Biryani, Lucknowi Biryani, Bombay Biryani and so on!
Here is our 'easier' take on Vegetable Dum Biryani. The cooking time can vary based on what vegetables and type of meat. The method we are using here is designed to give you instant gratification ;).
- Prepare rice - Wash and soak 1.5 cups basmati rice for 20 min. Bring 6 cups water to boil and add SpiceFix bay leaves, 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 star anise.
- Partially cook the rice in this water, drain, rinse with cold water and keep aside.
- Prepare gravy - In a pan, heat 1 tbs butter and ghee each and add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, ½ tsp cloves, 1 star anise, 4 green cardamom, 1 tsp cumin. Saute. Add onions, ginger garlic paste. Saute for a min.
- Add any vegetable of choice like carrots, peas, cauliflower, beans, potatoes, etc. Add 1 cup yogurt, mint and cilantro paste, t-2 tsp SpiceFix Shahi Biryani mix, kashmiri chilli powder and turmeric powder. Add 1 cup water and boil for 2 min or until vegetables are almost cooked.
- Layer the biryani - In a pan, add a layer of gravy, topped with the almost cooked rice, followed by mint, coriander and dried onions. Repeat with another layer - gravy, rice, mint, coriander and dried onions.
- Close the lid and seal with wheat dough. Slow cook for 15-20 min or longer!
- Fold the biryani gently to reveal its beautiful layers - be careful not to break the long grains of rice!
Enjoy with salad and raita!!