Turmeric - The Golden Wonder!
Growing up in India, come winter my mom would give me a glass of warm, yellow and sweetened milk every night before going to bed. We didn't always receive this with a smile and more often than not, gulped it down like medicine :).
Fast forward, 20 years later the whole world is raving about this "Golden Milk"! Here is a simple recipe for boosting your immunity and improving overall metabolism with just 2 spices - Turmeric powder and Pepper. (Fun Fact): Adding a dash of freshly ground black peppercorn improves the absorption of turmeric by your body!).
- 1 cup milk (or any vegan milk of your choice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed tellicherry pepper
- Optional: sweetener of your choice (we love raw honey)
- Warm up the milk by heating on a low flame
- Add the turmeric and pepper, while mixing gently
- Pour into cup and once milk comes to room temperature, add the honey.
NOTE: Alternatively you can also add freshly ground cardamom seeds as a sweetener!
Images used with permission from Anvita Bhatnagar, The Belly Rules the Mind :).